Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Battle of the Mind

I was hoping to get in 9-10 miles this morning, but my run this morning was a battle of the mind. I was feeling good the first 4-5 miles. At mile 4 I was running into the fog by the bridge, it was awesome. But then shortly after taking in that beautiful view I hit a wall. I didn't just hit it, I went crashing into it.

My mind and body were not synched and I was completely distracted. I wish I could say I was distracted by all the beautiful sailors and Marines hanging out near Crissy Field - but really, all the distractions were in my head.

I started doubting that I can actually run far. I've already proved to myself that I can run far, but my body just wasn't listening today.

Another thing going on in my head - runner's envy. Do you ever get runner's envy? San Francisco has a great community of runners - at any given time of the day you can pass by dozens of other runners. As my body and mind were duking it out, I got a case of runner's envy. Look at that group, they're running so fast - man, that guy makes running look so easy - wow, look at her legs, when will I have legs like that? Blah blah blah.

To mix things up, I decided to switch my route home. This was probably the best decision I made during the run. Mile 8 was pretty much all down hill which allowed me to pick up some speed and finish strong.

I didn't quite hit my goal for the day, but really, how can you be disappointed when you can say you ran 9 miles on a Saturday morning before breakfast. Also, check out this amazing view.



Workout Details:

Ran Outside
8.92 miles / 1:29:27

No comments:

Post a Comment