Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Starry Morning

Although it was 6:15 when I started my run this morning, the stars were still out when my feet hit the pavement. It's always a pain dragging myself out of bed so early, even though I know the reward of a good workout is waiting - and today the reward was great.

I think the dark skies calmed me down a bit this morning. My last few runs have been a real struggle, but this morning I was able to turn my mind off. And if you know anything about me - you would know that is just hard for me to do. I always have something to talk about, something to think about, something to worry about, etc. But man, it feels good to shut your brain off once in a while. It was exactly what I needed.

Work has been really slow the last few days and I hate, hate being bored at work. I hate being bored in general. In addition to the work thing, I got some undesired family news yesterday. The news wasn't horrible, but it was just the thing to throw my mood over the edge. I decided to skip my evening class at school and go home and eat tacos and ice cream. Not that delicious homemade guacamole (thank you husband) or ice cream made my problems go away, but it was a nice coverup.

Where was I...tacos...mind, oh yes -turning off my mind, clearly I am easily distracted cause I haven't gotten to the part where turning off my mind really helped my workout.

For the first time in a while, I feel like I was really able to focus on my run. I was able to maintain my pace the entire run - I may have even pulled off a negative split! Granite it was a short run, but I'm usually adding minutes, not taking away seconds to the last half of my run. Around mile 3.5 a crazy thing happened - my music turned off (okay, so maybe not that crazy of a thing). Instead of fiddling with my phone, I just let it be. That was the first time I've run sans music - and I found it quite enjoyable. Living in a noise polluted city, I found it refreshing to listen to the quiet morning. It also allowed me to really listen to my body and my breathing (panting) - I think this is what allowed me to pick up my pace towards the end of the run. My mind and body were running as one. Hopefully I can keep this up.

I thought I had something else I was going to say, but I seem to have forgotten. Probably best, I'm all sweaty now and should probably take a shower so I can leave for work in an hour.

Workout Details:

Ran Outside
5.01 miles / 47:23

No comments:

Post a Comment