Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

This Thanksgiving I Spared a Turkey

Thanksgiving was a little different than usual this year - we decided not to go to Arizona. After going to Vegas in September and Michigan in October and with plans to go to Arizona in December - it just didn't seem all that feasible. So this year I hosted my own Thanksgiving - and to kick off the day we ran the inaugural Turkey Day 5K in downtown San Francisco! More to follow on that...

So...Thanksgiving dinner. Let's begin by saying we live in a small apartment and with that comes small appliances. I don't think a turkey would fit in our over - so I settled on making pot pie. I had every intention of making turkey pot pie - but when realizing turkey breasts were almost $8 a pound the week of Thanksgiving, I changed my mind and bought 3 pounds of chicken breast for only $8. So, I happy to report, I saved a turkey this year.

I love pot pie! It's seriously one of my favorite meals - my mom makes a mean pot pie. I'm not the greatest cook, but I pulled it off after about 75 calls to my mom. Not sure how she managed to cook her own dinner with my calling every 12 seconds. It was lots of work - but it turned out to be delicious. Dinner was accompanied by a roasted squash salad with a homemade apple cider vinaigrette, green bean casserole (another classic) and a walnut pie (thanks Sean).


Look at this masterpiece! 

Hope your holidays are off to a good start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment