Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chinese New Year 10K Recap

Life has been crazy busy lately and time has been going by at warp speed. This is literally the first chance I've really had in a month to sit down and blog. On top of this race recap, I still owe you a recap on the Tough Mudder and this weekend's latest race, Emerald Across the Bay 12K. But to get us started, here is the race recap for the Chinese New Year 10K from February.

I did this race on a whim - literally, decided on a Thursday to sign up for the Sunday race. Figured it would be a good last effort heading into Tough Mudder the following week.

The Chinatown YMCA Chinese New Year Run raised funds for the YMCA's youth and teen programs. This year's race specifically benefited the Physical Education Program which serves more than 1,600 youth and teens from Chinatown and surrounding San Francisco neighborhoods.

The race is smaller than most that I've participated in over the past few months. Between the 5K walk/run and the 10K there were only about 1,500 participants.

The race was on Sunday, February 17th. The start line was in the heart of Chinatown - a nice 15 minute walk from my apartment. Can't beat a race that's so close to home.


Pre race self portrait


Race start in Chinatown

The race started promptly at 8:00 - it was a brisk morning, but turned out to be perfect racing weather. The 10K route was 2 loops around the 5K route. It was nice to run down some new street and some regular streets - like my street. I told my sister to be outside at 8:10 - but she decided sleep was more important -so I made sure to give her a wake up call for round 2. On my second lap she was outside in her pajamas and snapped this lovely pic. 


Having lots of fun, clearly

I thought I was looking cool in my pink argyle ProCompression socks - but my sister said they give me flamingo legs! Despite her comment - I love them! 

I was running a pretty decent pace and managed to finish strong. After the race there was a small, but well done expo. The swag bags were also pretty awesome too - my favorite part was that the bags were paper. So green! 


Expo tents


Swag - Dasani Water, Hint Flavored Water, hand sanitizer 
AND a $10 Macy's gift card among other things

Perks of running a small race is that you look good when you get the results. 

I finished 86th overall and 7th for my age group (F18-29). If I finished 90 seconds faster I would've placed in the top 3. This probably won't happen again for another 29 years or until the next year of the snake. 

Final time: 53:39
Pace: 8:39

This race was low key and really fun. I would definitely do it again. I'm on the lookout for more small races like this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment